Big 12 SEC Challenge Logo
Big 12 Basketball Notebook
• After taking a break for the annual Challenge against the SEC, the Big 12 returns to conference play for the remainder of the season. Teams are one-third of the way through the 18-game league schedule.
• The Big 12/SEC Challenge ended in a tie for the second time in the seven seasons of the event. The Big 12 continues to lead 4-1-2 and holds a 40-30 (.571) advantage in Challenge games.
• The Big 12 has three of the nation’s top 7 teams in the NCAA “NET” ratings with
No. 1 Baylor, No. 4 Kansas and No. 7 West Virginia. No other conference has more than one. The Big 12 is one of just two leagues with all teams in the top 88 and is ranked first in conference NET rating.
• For the second straight week and third time in program history, Baylor is the No. 1-ranked team in the AP Poll. Prior to last week (January 20), the Bears last held the top spot on January 9, 2017. No. 3 Kansas also held steady to give the Big 12 two of the top three teams. West Virginia moved up two spots to No. 12.
• The Big 12 is holding opponents to a nation-low average of 63.9 ppg, led by Baylor who is fifth in NCAA stats, giving up just 58.6 ppg. Seventy percent of Big 12 teams rank in the top 53, holding opponents to under 64 ppg. The Big 12 held non-conference opponents to 63.6 ppg.
• Kansas’ schedule is rated as the toughest in the nation while West Virginia’s slate is second. Oklahoma State’s strength of schedule is 24th. The Big 12’s average strength of schedule is 36.1 – the best among the conferences.
• West Virginia coach Bob Huggins has tied Adolph Rupp for seventh on the NCAA all-time wins list with 876. Huggins’ career record stands at 876-365 in 38 seasons as a collegiate coach.
• Every Big 12 team finished regular season non-conference competition above .500 for the 16th season since 1996-97. The Big 12 finished regular season non-conference play with a 96-33 record and holds a winning percentage of .744, which is second nationally.
• The Big 12 has 23 wins over autonomy conference/Big East opponents and is 8-5 in games against non-conference ranked opponents. Baylor has three of the non-conference top 25 wins while Iowa State, Kansas, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia have one each.